Friday, July 15, 2011

Pre-holiday - but ideal holiday - reading: "Imperium" by Robert Harris

I am reading Robert Harris' Cicero trilogy out of order. First, about a year ago, I read "Lustrum", the story of Cicero's consulship in the Roman Republic and its aftermath; now, I have recently finished "Imperium", which tells the tale of how he got there. Although, I suppose, in an ideal world these books should be read in the correct order, in reality I found it didn't matter too much.


I just re-read my short review of Lustrum and find, perhaps unsurprisingly, that I think very much the same things about this one. Typically, for Harris, it's a great read, a genuine page-turning thriller, but also intelligent, complex and intimidatingly thoroughly researched. World-changing literature maybe not, but to write like this is a rare gift and I for one love it.

Once again, the book is essentially about politics, and all that is noble, perverse, idealistic, cynical, important and vain about it. Though the politics of ancient Rome are not (quite) like ours, they are close enough to shed some light on how power and ambition work in our society. This contemporary relevance is perhaps more obvious in Lustrum, but it is here too, lurking under the surface of Cicero and, his slave, Tiro's vicissitudes in what we can perhaps already see as the dying years of the Republic of Rome.

Not a great deal more to say: this is a fine novel, a great read and highly recommended. Looking forward to when Harris finally gets round to writing book three in the trilogy. Next year's summer reading perhaps.


Plus ça change... The thrilling politics of ancient Rome

No comments:

Post a Comment