Monday, August 16, 2010

Semi-holiday reading no. 1: "Superfreakonomics" by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner

(Original FB note: 2 January 2010)

A bit behind, I'm afraid, with my online existence, thanks to an unusually high level of living in the non-virtual world. Weird, huh? So this was a book I actually finished a while ago. Since when I have started on another (very promising) one, in turn interrupted by reading a friend's manuscript, about which I can say nothing except that I am overwhelmed with admiration and a fair amount of envy. More on that one sometime in the near future, I hope...

On "Superfreakonomics" what to say?

If you liked "Freakonomics", you'll like this.

That's about it really.

OK, just because I don't want to short-change my faithful readers, I'll add a sentence. This is the same fascinating, oblique, surprising, and occasionally maddening stuff that made the authors' name in their first book. It's just that first time it was surprising and fun. This time it's less surprising, and slightly less fun - simply for that reason. And, if I am going to be curmudgeonly, perhaps a little more of a "so what?" reaction this time. Mind you, I can't help feeling they have a point about children's car seats...

Recommendation? If you liked "Freakonomics" you'll like this...

More of the same, but not pointlessly so

No comments:

Post a Comment